The re-assurance came just as the State Police Command, acting on the orders of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, stepped up its surveillance, following the panic generated by threat letters purportedly written to some communities by a faceless criminal group, “One Million Boys”.
The group allegedly threatened that it would carry out armed robbery attacks in some listed neighbourhoods.
The police described the group as “non-existent”, adding it had strengthened its surveillance across neighbourhoods.
The Commissioner of Police, Mr. Hakeem Odumosu, who led squadrons of anti-robbery policemen to various tension-soaked communities on Friday, allayed residents’ fear, saying the criminal gang called “One Million Boys” had been disbanded in several operations.
Odumosu said a new set of criminally minded people may be hiding under the gang’s name to scare the public, but he assured all that the police, in conjunction with other security agencies, would neutralise such threat.
He said: “Today, we have come out in a full show of force to give you an assurance that there’s nothing like ‘One Million Boys’; they are criminals. Be assured that Government is out to protect you. The police are out there to guarantee your safety and we are doing this in conjunction with soldiers, Navy, Air Force and Department of State Services (DSS) operatives.
“So, we are asking you not to panic. Go about your lawful engagements. When it is time for you to sleep, you should sleep without nurturing the fear that some faceless criminal gangs will come and attack you. Faceless people are sending letters around only to put fears in your mind. We will respond swiftly to any attack and we shall be patrolling around the State.”
Odumosu gave out emergency numbers to call in case of armed robbery attacks and cautioned residents not to burn tyres on roads because of such acts damage and pose health risks to children and the sick.
The numbers are 09010512385, 09010512286, 09010512287 and 09010512288.
The police chief said the security agencies had been carrying out land and aerial surveillance to ensure the safety of residents during the lockdown imposed by the Federal Government to tackle the Coronavirus (COVID-19).
Some of the areas visited by Odumosu and his team of combat-ready policemen include Ikotun, Pako-Ijesha, Igando, Mushin, Surulere, Festac Town, Idimu, Ikeja, Ojodu, Berger, Ogba, Fadeyi, and Onipanu among others.
INVESTIGATION16 hours ago
Billionaire Doyin Group chairman, Samuel Adedoyin’s grandson commits suicide
THE NEWS9 hours ago
‘I stabbed him twice’, suspect narrates how she killed Super TV CEO (VIDEO)
BUSINESS14 hours ago
Kano bakers threaten indefinite strike over BUA Group, IRS, others flour price hike
THE NEWS3 days ago
We are using agency banking to drive entrepreneurship, wealth creation – Ecobank
THE NEWS2 days ago
Farouk Lawan sentenced to seven years in prison over $3m bribe
SPORTS15 hours ago
EURO 2020: Vexed by DStv’s price, football fans switch to StarTimes
THE NATION1 day ago
IWD: Pains of widows in Nigeria and CBA Foundation’s drive to assuage them
OPINION6 hours ago
Anambra PDP and the audacity of usurpation, By Uchem Obi