Presidential spokesman, Garba Shehu, has apologised for incorrectly stating that only ten boys were kidnapped at Government Secondary School Kankara, Katsina State.
The boys, numbering in their hundreds, were abducted a week ago and were released on Thursday by their abductors.
Shehu had told the BBC that only ten of them had been kidnapped, even as state government sources put the figure at 333.
Shehu in a statement on Friday, said: “I apologize for the incorrect communication citing that only 10 students were kidnapped at the science school, Kankara,” Mr Shehu said on Friday via his verified Twitter page.
“This communication of numbers was provided by persons that should ideally know. These numbers were seen to conflict with what was available at that time.
“Please understand that this communication was in no way done to downplay the seriousness of the situation.
“Please accept my sincere apologies on this matter as we continue to move our great Nation Nigeria forward. Thank you.”
INVESTIGATION16 hours ago
Billionaire Doyin Group chairman, Samuel Adedoyin’s grandson commits suicide
THE NEWS10 hours ago
‘I stabbed him twice’, suspect narrates how she killed Super TV CEO (VIDEO)
BUSINESS15 hours ago
Kano bakers threaten indefinite strike over BUA Group, IRS, others flour price hike
THE NEWS3 days ago
We are using agency banking to drive entrepreneurship, wealth creation – Ecobank
THE NEWS2 days ago
Farouk Lawan sentenced to seven years in prison over $3m bribe
SPORTS15 hours ago
EURO 2020: Vexed by DStv’s price, football fans switch to StarTimes
THE NATION1 day ago
IWD: Pains of widows in Nigeria and CBA Foundation’s drive to assuage them
OPINION7 hours ago
Anambra PDP and the audacity of usurpation, By Uchem Obi