Connect with us

NEWS

Senate lied, “there are no 222 pension properties shared” – EFCC

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has denied the claim raised in the Senate about 222 properties shared after having been recovered by the commission.

The properties were said to have been recovered by the committee on Presidential Task Team on Pension Reform (PTTPR) led by fugitive, Abdulrasheed Maina.

This was disclosed by the Chairman of the Senate Ad Hoc Committee investigating the controversial reinstatement of Miana, Senator Emmanuel Paulker (PDP, Bayelsa) on Thursday on the upper chamber.

Paulker said the committee could not tender its report as a result of the new discovery while asking for extension of time for further investigations.

However, the EFCC’s head of media and publicity, Wilson Uwujaren, in a press statement on Thursday refuted the claim by Paulker.

The statement reads: “The attention of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has been drawn to comments attributed to the Chairman of the Senate Ad Hoc Committee investigating the controversial reinstatement of Abdulrasheed Maina, Senator Emmanuel Paulker, alleging that officials of the Commission shared 222 properties which Maina’s Panel seized from pension fund thieves.

“This sweeping allegation, coming from a Senate Committee is disturbing more so as no attempt was made to verify the information from the Commission.

“The EFCC was never invited by the Committee and given the opportunity to educate it on the status of assets seized from suspected pension thieves; yet the Committee was comfortable to scandalize the EFCC with the public disclosure of unverified claims by unknown interests.”

Giving further clarification on the matter, the commission’s spokesman said: “For the avoidance of doubt, there are no 222 properties anywhere that were shared by anybody. The EFCC did not receive a single property from Abdulrasheed Maina.

“All the pension fraud assets that are in the recovered assets inventory of the Commission were products of independent investigation by the EFCC, for which Maina and his cohorts had no clues.

“If Maina or any government official witnessed the sharing of any recovered pension assets by any official of the EFCC, they should be willing to name the official, the assets involved; when and where the ‘sharing’ took place.

“As far as the EFCC is concerned, there is no controversy regarding the status of assets recovered from suspected pension thieves. The record of all the recovered assets from both the Police Pension and the Pension Office of the Office of the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation as well as their current status are intact, and have been communicated to the relevant organs of government.”

The statement also expounded on the process involved in recovery of assets:

“However, in view of the consistent display of public ignorance about the profile of recovered assets by even those who should know, it is important to state that it is impossible for anybody to share a property that is subject of interim forfeiture by court.

“Of all the properties seized from pension fraud suspects, it is only properties that are linked to John Yusuf, who was convicted under a plea bargain arrangement that had been forfeited permanently and handed to government.

“All the others, with the exception of Brifina Hotel, are subject of interim forfeiture. And the cases are ongoing in courts.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

NEWS

JUST IN: FG suspends Nigeria Air indefinitely – Minister

Published

on

The Minister of State for Aviation, Hadi Sirika, on Wednesday, announced the suspension of the planned national carrier, Nigeria Air.

Continue Reading

NEWS

I will contest Lagos governorship election – Jimi Agbaje

Published

on

The governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the 2015 gubernatorial election in Lagos State, Mr. Jimi Agbaje, on Wednesday, September 19, finally announced that he has an ambition to lead the state on the platform of the same party in 2019.

There had been speculations on whether Agbaje, who narrowly missed the chance to govern the state in 2015, would still seek election.

Agbaje reportedly told journalists in Lagos that he would seek election in the state in 2019.

“It is true that initially I did not want to re-contest, but I had so many people urging me to run,” he said.

Agbaje, the 2015 governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Lagos state, on Monday, September 3, urged the party to conduct free, fair and credible convention to avoid rancor ahead of the 2019 elections.

A statement by Fidelis Soriwei, a spokesperson of Seriake Dickson, quoted Agbaje as having stated this when he paid a condolence visit to the state governor, Seriake Dickson, in his Toru Orua country home.

The visit was to condole the governor over the death of his mother, Goldcoast Dickson, who died of lung cancer at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Centre, Houston, Texas, in the United States at the age of 72.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Lagos APC members protest James Faleke’s re-election bid

Published

on

Some members of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, in Ikeja Federal Constituency, Lagos State, on Monday staged a peaceful protest against the re-election bid of Rep. James Faleke.

Faleke, member representing Ikeja Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives is positioning himself for re-election in 2019 elections. He had in 2016 gone to contest the deputy governorship seat in Kogi, his state of origin.

The protesters, who chanted different solidarity songs against Faleke, a two-term member of the House of Representatives, said that he had not represented the constituency well.

They carried placards with inscriptions such as “Faleke, go back to Kogi, Ikeja say no to you”, “90 Shops in Kogi, Go back to your Kogi”.

Others read: “16 years of representing Ikeja with no constituency benefit”, “Dear Tinubu, the People of Ikeja, Ojodu, and Onigbongbo say no to Faleke” among others.

One of the leaders of the protesters, Solomon Johnson, said that there were so many capable and vibrant youths, men and women that could represent the constituency.

Johnson, a leader in Ikeja APC said that the protest was to tell the leadership of the party that the residents would not support the re-election of Faleke to the House of Representatives.

“He has been in power in the last 18 years and we feel he has done enough,” Johnson said.

According to him, since the lawmaker has gone to contest Kogi Deputy Governorship Election in 2016, the legislative seat should be given to another individual in the person of Mrs Toke Benson.

He urged Faleke to concentrate on strengthening APC in Kogi rather than seek re-election by transferring his voter register back to Lagos.

“It will be a slap on the people of Ikeja Federal Constituency if Faleke is forced on residents, we have able youths that can represent the constituency and we have found Mrs Toke Benson.

“Since the party is interested in promoting women participation, Toke Benson is qualified, she is a lawyer and well known. Enough of impunity. Give us Toke Benson and we will deliver Ikeja for APC,” Johnson said.

Another leader of the protesters, Hope James said, “The entire people of Ikeja want a change. The attention of Faleke has been in Kogi. Our people have not been benefiting from that office.”

James, one of the APC stalwarts from Onigbongbo Local Council Development Area, alleged that the lawmaker had not been representing the constituency well.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending