Connect with us

THE NATION

Reps insist on probing N2.8b Federal Fire Service fund

Published

on

The House of Representatives on Wednesday said it would investigate the status of the N2.8 billion appropriated for the Federal Fire Service in the 2011 budget.

This was sequel to a motion by Hon. Ayeola Abayomi on the need to unravel the mystery behind the withheld fund at the plenary in Abuja.

He said the House was at a loss over the whereabout of the money; hence, there was a need to investigate the utilisation or non-utilisation of the N2.8 billion.

He said investigation became imperative, considering the rising number of lives and property lost to fire in some parts of the country.

Abayomi said: “Besides, the confusion over the status of the fund on whether it was not released or misappropriated made the investigation more imperative.”

He said it was disheartening that “the federal fire service is in a terrible condition, being poorly equipped and thus cannot respond to its current challenges”.

He added: “In 2011, N2.8 billion was appropriated for the federal fire service to purchase trucks and equipment.

“But till date, the money has not been released, hence the need to probe the whereabouts of the money.
“Only 15 out of the 36 states of the federation have functioning fire services, this exposes people of the 21 states to the consequences of an inferno.”

Abayomi said there had been several fire disasters in public places ”such as the Ogbete main Market, Enugu in which 35 shops were destroyed in November 2017”.

He also recalled that in 2016, during the Sabon Gari Market inferno in Kano, 3,800 shops were razed by fire.

He said: “The National Association of Nigerian Traders said that in the last 17 years, traders lost about N5.3 billion to fire disasters.

“Oftentimes, people do not give the right of way to fire trucks to pass in the course of a fire incident.
“In many cases, buildings have been arbitrarily erected in streets, thereby obstructing fire trucks from reaching burning buildings.”

However, attempt by the Deputy Minority Leader, Chukwuka Onyema, to discourage the House from proceeding with the investigation was rebuffed.

Onyema said his argument was based on the fact that the non-release of the fund took place before the timeline of the current House, a development he said had limited the powers of the House.

The motion was unanimously adopted after it was put to a voice vote by the Speaker, Yakubu Dogara.
Dogara then referred the matter to the Committee on Interior for investigation.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

THE NATION

Police parade Chibok girls’ abductors, 14 others in Borno

Published

on

The police in Borno State on Wednesday paraded 22 suspected Boko Haram terrorists including eight men said to be responsible for the 2014 abduction of over 200 girls at Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok.

The suspects, who were paraded by the state Police Commissioner, Damian Chukwu, were arrested between July 4 and 9 by Special Forces deployed to the North East by the Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris.

It was gathered that the IGP had deployed the team following several suicide bombings and killings of innocent persons by insurgents and other criminal elements.

He said the suspects were apprehended at different locations in Borno and Yobe States.

Those allegedly responsible for the Chibok girls’ abduction and several murderous attacks were identified as Commander, Mayinta Modu (23), Adam Mohammed (20), Gujja Jidda (21), Mamman Wadi (25), Alhaji Modu Jidda (29), Ajiri Bulama Dungus (22), Mohammed Abba (20) and Fannami Mustapha (22).

Chukwu said the police recovered 11 AK47 rifles and other weapons from the suspects, adding that they confessed to over 50 suicide bombings within Borno and Adamawa States, invasion of Bama, Gwoza and several other attacks.

He also said the suspects admitted to killing thousands of innocent citizens including security agents in the North East.

The police commissioner said: “Suspects narrated various roles each of them played. Amongst them are the commanders and coordinators of suicide bombings in Borno State, coordinator and members of the Chibok School Girls kidnapping, ambushes of security agents, logistics suppliers and receivers of gold, international currencies and cows, among others.

“Mayinta Modu, 23, alias Abor, confessed to being one of the Boko Haram commanders, who coordinated and led the kidnapping of the Chibok School girls in 2014 and several attacks on Bama, Gwoza and Mubi towns in Borno and Adamawa States.”

Continue Reading

THE NATION

Dasuki: Court serves warrant of release on DSS, AGF

Published

on

The Federal High Court in Abuja has formally served a warrant of release of Colonel Sambo Dasuki (rtd) on the Director General of Department of State Security Services (DSS) and the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice.

A Federal High Court had on July 2, 2018, granted Dasuki conditional bails which he had perfected full Tuesday.

It was gathered that around 1 pm Tuesoday a court bailiff accompanied by the two sureties who stood for Dasuki officially served the Director General of DSS and Minister of Justice with the warrant of release from the Federal High Court in Abuja.

Although the sureties had anticipated that the detained ex-NSA would be handed over to them, sources, however, said that the DSS boss may need to contact the Presidency before finally handing over Dasuki to the sureties in compliance with the judgement of the Federal High Court.

The warrant of release dated July 16, 2018 with a title ‘Verification of Bail Conditions’ and signed by Mba Nkem A. Omotosho, Deputy Chief Registrar was served on the DSS Headquarters and the Office of Minister of Justice in Abuja.

The warrant of release read in part: “Pursuant to the judgement Order made on Monday the 2nd day of July 2018 granted by his lordship, Hon Justice Ijeoma L. Ojukwu, directing various conditions to be fulfilled prior to the Release on Bail of the Applicant (Col. Sambo Dasuki Rtd).

“I have scrupulously verified the entire conditions of bail as ordered by his lordship and the three ambits are fulfilled.

“Hence, the respondents, the Director-General, State Security Services, and Attorney General of the Federation are hereby notified as directed by his lordship for the subsequent compliance of same.

“Attached herewith is the enrolled Order of the Court and all the necessary bail documents for your perusal and aggrandizement,” it concluded.

Before the latest judgment by Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu on his Fundamental Human Rights, Dasuki had previously perfected bails granted him by four different judges of high courts including Justices Ademola Adeniyi and Justice Ahmed Mohammed of the Abuja Federal High Court and Justice Hussein Baba-Yusuf and Peter Affen of the FCT High Courts. The ECOWAS Court of Justice also ordered his immediate release from detention.

At the time of this report, friends, associates and well-wishers of the former National Security Adviser have stormed his residence as early as 8 am eagerly awaiting his final release from detention by the federal government.

Continue Reading

THE NATION

NYSC to investigate Finance Minister’s exemption certificate

Published

on

The National Youth Service Corps, NYSC said on Monday that it has launched an investigation into an alleged fake exemption certificate in possession of Minister of Finance, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun.

The organisation, in a three paragraph statement issued on Monday by its Director, Press and Public Relations, Adeyemi Adenike, confirmed that the minister applied for an exemption certificate from the NYSC.

The statement reads: “Our attention has been drawn to the issue of the alleged forgery of an NYSC Exemption Certificate by the Honorable Minister of Finance, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun.

“Checking our records, Mrs. Adeosun did apply for an Exemption Certificate. We shall investigate the origin of the purported Exemption Certificate in question.”

An online publication, Premium Times had reported that the Minister skipped the mandatory one year national service and obtained a forged exemption certificate.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending