Connect with us

POLITICS

Reps Deputy Speaker, Lasun Yussuff joins Osun gubernatorial race

Published

on

Lasun Yussuff, the Deputy Speaker, House of Representatives, has declared his intention to vie for Sept. 22 governorship election in Osun.

Yussuff, who made the declaration at the All Progressives Congress secretariat on Thursday in Osogbo, said he was the man for the job.

He said there was no negative sign that he would not perform creditably well if given the opportunity to govern the state.

The deputy speaker, who noted that he had been one of the loyal party members, said that people of the state were waiting for him to govern the state.

Yussuff said that he would generate more employment opportunities in the state by leveraging on the Osun Youth Empowerment Scheme legacy of Governor Rauf Aregbesola.

He said he would ensure that the OYES scheme was back by legislation in the state.

Yussuff also said that he would engage in man power training in the education sector, embark on agriculture revolution and improve on the Internally Generated Revenue in the state.

He said: “I am not fighting to be governor, but rather I want to be the governor because I have the experience and the exposure.

“The people of the state want me and waiting for me to rule them because I am the one the cap fits and I will not disappoint them.”

Welcoming the aspirant to the party secretariat, Gboyega Famodun, the state party chairman, said there was no doubt that the aspirant have the political exposure and experience to rule the state.

Famodun, while admonishing the aspirant to play his politics with all sense of humility, urged him to heed both the public and private advice he had been given him.

Famodun said: “If it is the will of God for you to be the governor, so be it, but one thing that is sure is that it is only one person that will pick the party’s ticket for the election.”

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that 27 aspirants under the platform of APC had so far expressed their intention to contest the party’s primary ahead of the gubernatorial election.
The date of the party primary is, however, not yet fixed.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

NEWS

Court didn’t bar APC from sending Delta candidates’ list to INEC – Party

Published

on

The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Delta State has denied reports that a Federal High Court sitting in Asaba, has restrained the National Working Committee (NWC) of the party from submitting the list of party candidates for the 2019 election from Delta State to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

In a statement made available to newsmen in Asaba on Wednesday by the legal adviser of the APC in Delta State, E.V. Onojeghuo Esq, the party described the report as false and lies cooked to deceive party faithful and cause disaffection in the party and amongst members of the public.

 

Read the full statement below:

The attention of the All Progressives Congress, Delta State has been drawn to the above-mentioned subject currently being circulated in various social media platforms and news outlets.

This case was instituted by one Chief Cyril Ogodo who participated and lost the congresses to elect a new executive committee. In his claims before the honourable court, he is seeking amongst other things a declaration as the authentic State Chairman of the Party and order restraining defendants from submitting names of candidates to INEC.

On 16th October 2018, when the case came up, the defendants informed the Court of their inability to file responses to the Claimants application for injunction. After much argument, the case adjourned to today the 17th of October for hearing.

In today’s proceedings, Counsel George Onaho Esq for the 1st and 2nd defendants (APC and the National Chairman) served their Counter affidavit and the Notice of preliminary objection to the jurisdiction of the Court. The counsel for the Claimants O.J. Oghenejakpor asked for a stand down to react to the preliminary objection which was granted.

On resumption, counsel to the Claimants served his reply to the preliminary objection on the counsel for the 1st and 2nd defendants whereupon the counsel for the 1st and 2nd defendants applied for an adjournment to file a reply on points of law which was opposed to by O.J. Oghenejakpor who insisted on going on with the motion for interlocutory injunction.

At this point, the honourable court informed O.J. Oghenejakpor the counsel to the Claimants that the motion for interlocutory injunction cannot be taken as the prayers in the motion are substantially the same as the main reliefs in the substantive suit. The court thereafter adjourned the matter to 1st and 2nd of November 2018 for accelerated hearing of the substantive case and preliminary objection to be taken together and the parties to maintain status quo.

The implications of today’s proceedings are:

  1. No Order restraining the defendants was made by the honourable court.
  2. The status quo to be maintained simply means that the State Executive Committee under the chairmanship of Prophet Jones Ode Erue remains the authentic structures in the State.
  3. It stands logic on the head to assume that the Court has technically restrained the defendants by asking parties to maintain status quo when the honourable court has rightly observed that the motion for interlocutory injunction carries the same reliefs as the substantive suit and even refused to entertain the said motion.
  4. The defendants are therefore at liberty to carry out their constitutional duties as there are no legal restraints imposed by the honourable court.

In the light of the above, we appeal to all faithful members of our great Party to remain calm and not be sway by social media pranks as the records of the Court are sacrosanct.

 

Signed

E.V. Onojeghuo Esq

APC State Legal Adviser

Continue Reading

NEWS

2019 Elections: Court stops INEC, APC from disqualifying Zamfara candidates

Published

on

The Zamfara State High Court has issued an interim order restraining the All Progressives Congress (APC) and the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) from disqualifying the party’s candidates from the state for the 2019 elections.

The trial Judge, Justice Mukhtar Yushau gave the order on Tuesday, following a suit filed by three executive members of the party in the state – the Chairman of the party in Gusau Local Government Area, Babangida Abdullahi, his counterpart in Tsafe Local Government Area, Kabiru Chafe, and Sanusi Dan-Alhahi.

In the suit, they challenged the powers of the national leadership of the APC and INEC to disqualify the candidates from contesting for various elective positions in the 2019 elections.

The plaintiffs filed the application on behalf of 24 other candidates on October 8, 2018, through their counsel, Muhammad Sani Katu.

In his ruling on the suit, Justice Yushau, issued an order of interim injunction ordering the APC, the party’s north-west zonal chairman and INEC to maintain the status quo as at the time the plaintiffs filed the suit on October 8, 2018, which was not objected by their counsels.

The judge, thereafter, adjourned the matter to October 23 for hearing to enable the defendants file their responses to the motion on notice now before the court.

Continue Reading

POLITICS

Kogi East Senate: APC, Echocho enlist thugs to harass electorates during election

Published

on

Fresh information at our disposals has revealed that the Kogi State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and its senatorial candidate for Kogi East district in the 2019 general elections, Alh. Jibrin Isah Echocho have enlisted thugs to disrupt the forthcoming senatorial election in the zone, this newspaper gathered.

According to sources, the APC has perfected a grand plan to engage the services of thugs to harass electorates that are not committed to the party thereby forcing its candidate on the people.

We were further informed that the APC and Echocho planned to cause commotion if things don’t go their way.

Sources further disclosed that the party has enmarked over N100 million to implement the plans.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending