Connect with us

THE NATION

Osinbajo meets IG as policemen protest in Maiduguri

Published

on

Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo on Monday met behind closed doors with the Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, at the Presidential Villa, Abuja. The meeting came shortly after the news broke that some policemen were protesting against non-payment of their allowances in Maiduguri, Borno State.

The meeting, which was held inside the Vice-President’s office, came at a time President Muhammadu Buhari was attending the 31st Ordinary Session of the African Union Assembly of Heads of State and Government in Mauritania.

The agenda of the meeting was not made public neither did Idris spoke with journalists at the end of the meeting.

Mobile policemen took to the streets of Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, on Monday morning to protest six months’ unpaid allowances.

It was learnt that the officers were posted to the state in January to beef up the security of the troubled state, which had been bedevilled by Boko Haram insurgency for about a decade.

The protesting policemen, who were fully armed, marched in their hundreds to the Borno State Police Headquarters located on a major highway in the town, barricaded the highway, shooting sporadically into the air and scaring off motorists.

Some of the students and workers had to turn back to their homes as they could not pass through the barricade.

Some of the policemen, who spoke on condition of anonymity, lamented that since January when they were deployed in the state on a special operation, they had not been paid their allowances.

They complained that many of them had had to endure inhuman treatment as they had to sleep on the corridor of the office on returning from duty at night.

When contacted, the Commissioner of Police in Borno State, Damian Chukwu, said he was aware of the protest and said the delay in the payment of the policemen’s allowances might not be unconnected with the late signing of the budget.

It was later learnt that the IG waded into the crisis by directing the commissioner in charge of the Police Mobile Force to immediately relocate to Maiduguri to address the crisis.

In a press statement in Maiduguri, the spokesman for the Borno Police Command, Edet Okon, said, “The IG has consequently directed the Commissioner of Police in charge of Police Mobile Force to relocate to Borno State and address the situation.”

He added, “The Borno State Government has also intervened and pledged to assist to better the condition of the visiting PMF personnel.

“The Police High Command is aware of their plight and liaising with appropriate Federal Government agencies to address the situation.

“We are hopeful that since the 2018 budget has been signed by the Presidency, the allowances will be paid soon.

“Meanwhile, efforts by officers of the command yielded results as the situation was brought under control. Members of the public are, therefore, encouraged to go about their lawful activities without any fear or apprehension.”

However, the Force Spokesman, acting DCP Jimoh Moshood, had in a statement in Abuja denied reports that riot policemen protested over the delay in the payment of their special duty allowances in Maiduguri on Monday.

Moshood said that the policemen simply visited the Borno State Police Command headquarters to enquire about the delay of their allowances.

Moshood’s claim was, however, contrary to pictures circulating online, showing policemen holding leaves and firing their weapons in the air.

Moshood explained that the Inspector-General of Police, Idris, had directed the Commissioner of Police in Borno State to explain to the men why there was a delay in the payment of their allowances and to also assure them that “since the budget has been approved, the allowances will be expeditiously processed and paid without any further delay.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

THE NATION

Police parade Chibok girls’ abductors, 14 others in Borno

Published

on

The police in Borno State on Wednesday paraded 22 suspected Boko Haram terrorists including eight men said to be responsible for the 2014 abduction of over 200 girls at Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok.

The suspects, who were paraded by the state Police Commissioner, Damian Chukwu, were arrested between July 4 and 9 by Special Forces deployed to the North East by the Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris.

It was gathered that the IGP had deployed the team following several suicide bombings and killings of innocent persons by insurgents and other criminal elements.

He said the suspects were apprehended at different locations in Borno and Yobe States.

Those allegedly responsible for the Chibok girls’ abduction and several murderous attacks were identified as Commander, Mayinta Modu (23), Adam Mohammed (20), Gujja Jidda (21), Mamman Wadi (25), Alhaji Modu Jidda (29), Ajiri Bulama Dungus (22), Mohammed Abba (20) and Fannami Mustapha (22).

Chukwu said the police recovered 11 AK47 rifles and other weapons from the suspects, adding that they confessed to over 50 suicide bombings within Borno and Adamawa States, invasion of Bama, Gwoza and several other attacks.

He also said the suspects admitted to killing thousands of innocent citizens including security agents in the North East.

The police commissioner said: “Suspects narrated various roles each of them played. Amongst them are the commanders and coordinators of suicide bombings in Borno State, coordinator and members of the Chibok School Girls kidnapping, ambushes of security agents, logistics suppliers and receivers of gold, international currencies and cows, among others.

“Mayinta Modu, 23, alias Abor, confessed to being one of the Boko Haram commanders, who coordinated and led the kidnapping of the Chibok School girls in 2014 and several attacks on Bama, Gwoza and Mubi towns in Borno and Adamawa States.”

Continue Reading

THE NATION

Dasuki: Court serves warrant of release on DSS, AGF

Published

on

The Federal High Court in Abuja has formally served a warrant of release of Colonel Sambo Dasuki (rtd) on the Director General of Department of State Security Services (DSS) and the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice.

A Federal High Court had on July 2, 2018, granted Dasuki conditional bails which he had perfected full Tuesday.

It was gathered that around 1 pm Tuesoday a court bailiff accompanied by the two sureties who stood for Dasuki officially served the Director General of DSS and Minister of Justice with the warrant of release from the Federal High Court in Abuja.

Although the sureties had anticipated that the detained ex-NSA would be handed over to them, sources, however, said that the DSS boss may need to contact the Presidency before finally handing over Dasuki to the sureties in compliance with the judgement of the Federal High Court.

The warrant of release dated July 16, 2018 with a title ‘Verification of Bail Conditions’ and signed by Mba Nkem A. Omotosho, Deputy Chief Registrar was served on the DSS Headquarters and the Office of Minister of Justice in Abuja.

The warrant of release read in part: “Pursuant to the judgement Order made on Monday the 2nd day of July 2018 granted by his lordship, Hon Justice Ijeoma L. Ojukwu, directing various conditions to be fulfilled prior to the Release on Bail of the Applicant (Col. Sambo Dasuki Rtd).

“I have scrupulously verified the entire conditions of bail as ordered by his lordship and the three ambits are fulfilled.

“Hence, the respondents, the Director-General, State Security Services, and Attorney General of the Federation are hereby notified as directed by his lordship for the subsequent compliance of same.

“Attached herewith is the enrolled Order of the Court and all the necessary bail documents for your perusal and aggrandizement,” it concluded.

Before the latest judgment by Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu on his Fundamental Human Rights, Dasuki had previously perfected bails granted him by four different judges of high courts including Justices Ademola Adeniyi and Justice Ahmed Mohammed of the Abuja Federal High Court and Justice Hussein Baba-Yusuf and Peter Affen of the FCT High Courts. The ECOWAS Court of Justice also ordered his immediate release from detention.

At the time of this report, friends, associates and well-wishers of the former National Security Adviser have stormed his residence as early as 8 am eagerly awaiting his final release from detention by the federal government.

Continue Reading

THE NATION

NYSC to investigate Finance Minister’s exemption certificate

Published

on

The National Youth Service Corps, NYSC said on Monday that it has launched an investigation into an alleged fake exemption certificate in possession of Minister of Finance, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun.

The organisation, in a three paragraph statement issued on Monday by its Director, Press and Public Relations, Adeyemi Adenike, confirmed that the minister applied for an exemption certificate from the NYSC.

The statement reads: “Our attention has been drawn to the issue of the alleged forgery of an NYSC Exemption Certificate by the Honorable Minister of Finance, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun.

“Checking our records, Mrs. Adeosun did apply for an Exemption Certificate. We shall investigate the origin of the purported Exemption Certificate in question.”

An online publication, Premium Times had reported that the Minister skipped the mandatory one year national service and obtained a forged exemption certificate.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending