Connect with us

NEWS

Lagos to complete largest rice mill in sub-Saharan Africa in 2019

Published

on

The Lagos State Government on Wednesday said all hands are on deck to complete the largest rice mill in Sub-Saharan Africa currently ongoing in Imota Local Council Development Area of the State within the first quarter of 2019.
Apart from ensuring availability of rice in the market, the mill, which is of 32 metric tons per hour production capacity, is projected to facilitate the creation of over 200,000 jobs across the agricultural value chain, while it will also bring about the cultivation of 32,000 hectares of farm land to produce rice paddy, equating to an estimated 130 million kg of processed rice per year (an equivalent of 2.6 million 50kg bags of rice).
Speaking during an extensive inspection tour of major projects in Ikorodu, Imota and Agbowa axis by members of the Lagos State Executive Council, the State Governor, Akinwunmi Ambode, said the project would be completed by January 2019, while the initial production would commence by February of the year.
The Governor, who was represented by Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure, Adebowale Akinsanya, said the project was part of the grand policy of his administration to ensure food security, and as well give a quantum leap to economic integration of the Southwest region as the land to be cultivated and rice paddy for the mill would be supplied largely by farmers from the region.
Briefing journalists alongside other Exco members after being taken round the level of work done so far by Project Engineer, Gboyega Odunlami, Ambode said it was gratifying to note that the project was progressing steadily and would be delivered on schedule.
He said: “The key take away from here is that the construction of the rice mill and the industrial park among other complementing facilities are going on as planned.
“The administrative building, the restaurant, fire station, power station and other facilities needed to support the park and the rice mill are all ongoing concurrently.
“The mill is part of the food security strategy of this administration as well as Southwest integration efforts.
“It will be the largest rice mill not just in Nigeria but in Sub-Saharan Africa.
“Already, we have commitment from the contractors working on the project that it would be delivered by January 2019 and the rice mill that would be the food engine of the Southwest will be in production by February.”
At the Imota Regional Food Stuff Market, where the present Mile 12 Market and other markets within the axis would be relocated, the Governor said the first phase of the project which would accommodate about 1500 shops was already at 75 per cent completion stage, while the second phase, among other facilities such as concretized roads, fire stations, drainages, sewage system, power stations, sewage treatment, 1000 capacity Car Park, over 100 capacity Trailer Park, bus layby, among others would all be delivered before the end of the year.
The Governor said adequate provisions have been made in the new market to avoid the challenges which the present Mile 12 Market and other markets in the area constituted to the environment, saying at least 70 meters of buffer zone had been created between the proposed Ikorodu-Itoikin-Epe Road expansion project and the market to prevent interface.
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

NEWS

Senators sue AGF, DSS, police for alleged plot to remove Saraki

Published

on

Two lawmakers, Senator Rafiu Adebayo and Senator Isa Misau, have sued the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, the police, the Department of State Services, the Senate and seven others in order to stop the attempts to remove Senate President Bukola Saraki.
Senators Adebayo and Misau, who are supporters of Saraki, instituted the fresh court action marked FHC/ABJ/CS/872/2018 before a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja on Monday.
Other defendants in the suit are: the majority and deputy majority leaders of the Senate, the Clerk of the Senate, the Deputy Clerk of the Senate, the Senate President, the Deputy Senate President and the Deputy Minority Leader.
In the originating summons filed on their behalf by Mahmud Magaji (SAN), the plaintiffs want the Federal High Court to determine whether in view of the provisions of Section 50(1) (a) and (2) of the 1999 Constitution, Saraki, who defected to another political party as a result of the division in his former party, can be made to vacate his office other than in accordance with Section 50 of the constitution.
Adebayo and Misau, who represent Kwara South and Bauchi Central senatorial districts respectively, also want the court to determine whether Saraki can be compelled to vacate his office on the grounds that he is not a member of the political party with a majority of senators in the Senate in view of the combined reading of Section 50 of the constitution and Order 3 Rule 8 of the Senate Standing Orders.
The court was also urged to determine whether the Senate President could be said to have vacated his office by virtue of Section 50(2) of the constitution when he had not ceased to be a member of the Senate or the Senate dissolved.
In a motion on notice filed along with the originating summons, the plaintiffs prayed the court for an order of interlocutory injunction restraining all the defendants (except the Senate, Senate President and Deputy Senate President) jointly and severally either by themselves, their agents, servants and privies from unlawfully removing the Senate President pending the hearing and determination of the substantive suit.
They also prayed the court for another order of interlocutory injunction restraining the AGF and the Inspector-General of Police from unlawfully interfering with the lawful legislative duties of the Senate President pending the hearing and determination of their originating summons.
Besides, the plaintiffs asked for an order of interlocutory injunction stopping the IG and the DSS from harassing, intimidating, arresting or detaining the President of the Senate in respect of the lawful exercise of his duties pursuant to Section 50(1) of the constitution and another order directing parties in the case to maintain status quo pending the determination of the substantive matter.
The motion was predicated on seven grounds amongst which were that the agents of the IG and DSS had taken steps to flagrantly breach the provisions of Section 50 by employing their agents to disrupt the plenary of the Senate without recourse to the said provisions.
Another grounds were that the constitutional provision of removal of the Senate President does not empower the AGF, police and DSS to unlawfully interfere with the legislative duties of the Senate by causing a blockade at the premises of the National Assembly complex or using their agents to disrupt the lawful duties of the Senate.
In a 13-paragraph affidavit in support of the motion on notice and deposed to by Senator Isah Misau, he averred that the Senate was a body recognised and established by the 1999 Constitution vested with powers of making laws for the good governance and well-being of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
The deponent averred that the Senate held a plenary sitting between July 24 and 27 and that it was presided over by its President and that at the end of the sitting members adjourned till September 25.
Misau claimed that the All Progressives Congress as a platform for the Senate President had been bedevilled by crises resulting in divisions and factionalisation at the federal, state and local government levels.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Breaking: Soldiers protest in Borno, engage in shooting spree

Published

on

Soldiers of the Special Strike Force deployed in Operation Lafiya Dole have protested against their posting to Marte, a Local Government Area in the Northern part of Borno State, Channels Television is reporting.

The soldiers are part of those deployed in the fight against dreaded sect, Boko Haram.

According to Channels Television, the protesting soldiers were reacting to the news of their latest posting on Sunday evening by firing gunshots into the air at the Maiduguri International Airport in the state capital.

One of the soldiers told Channels Television via a phone interview that they were due for rotation, having spent almost four years at the theatre of operations.

He said they reported for duty in February 2015, stressing that a military circular from the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai, had clearly stated that no soldier should on any account be kept beyond three years in the North East region of the country.

The soldier lamented that out of the over 300 troops who reported, many of them had died in the last three years as a result of ambush or landmines by the Boko Haram insurgents, while some were killed in battle.

The angry soldiers have blocked all entrances to the airport and have insisted on redress.

However, attempts by top military officers of the Theatre Command to appease the irate soldiers could not yield any positive result.

As at the time of filing this report, the military authorities have yet to react to the incident, while the spokesperson for the Theatre Command, Colonel Onyema Nwachukwu, could not be reached.

Continue Reading

NEWS

EFCC slams Presidency for linking its actions to Saraki’s scripts

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has slammed the Presidency for linking some of its actions, especially the freezing of the account of the Benue State Government, to scripts written by the President of the Senate, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki.

In a statement on Sunday, the EFCC said its actions have nothing to do with Saraki but based on thorough investigation.

The anti-graft commission was responding to an article by the Special Adviser to the President Muhammadu Buhari on Political Matters, Senator Babafemi Ojudu, who said some agencies of the government were working with Saraki to achieve already predetermined ends.

Ojudu, who is based in the Office of the Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, now the Acting President, said the EFCC, Department of State Services and the Police were acting Saraki’s scripts.

He also accused former Military President, General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida, of having provided the template for Saraki’s script.

He wrote in part in the article: “From the shenanigans at the Benue House of Assembly to the siege on National Assembly, the attack on judges home in the night, the so-called barricade of the Senate President’s house, the laughable kidnap of Boy Dino and ‘his 11 hours on a tree’, the freezing of the Benue and Akwa Ibom accounts all are scripted, produced and acted by Oloye (Saraki) Productions.”

Reacting through its spokesman, Wilson Uwujaren, the EFCC said: “The attention of the EFCC has been drawn to a widely syndicated article by Senator Babafemi Ojudu, Special Adviser to the President on Political Matters entitled, ‘Fifth columnists in our recent history,’ wherein he portrayed the commission as a conscript in the devious plots by Senator Bukola Saraki to undermine the leadership of President Muhammadu Buhari.

“The commission takes exception to the attempt to impute false motive to its investigative activities. The recent placement of a ‘Post No Debit Order’ on some accounts in Benue and Akwa Ibom states were the culmination of many months of painstaking investigative activities. To reduce such activities to the level of a stunt in a real or imaginary script by any politician is outrageous.

“It is important to state that the EFCC is not a party to the so-called script by Saraki. Members of the public should disregard the innuendo in Ojudu’s article as it is unfounded.

“The commission calls for circumspection on the part of political leaders, while urging them to seek clarification before making comments on matters they do not know about.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending