Connect with us

SPORTS

BREAKING: Chelsea FC sacks manager, Maurizio Sarri to take over

Published

on

Antonio Conte and his staff have been sacked by Chelsea FC, paving the way for Maurizio Sarri’s arrival.

The former Italy national coach has essentially been a lame duck at Stamford Bridge since the end of last season, but the Blues couldn’t agree a compensation deal with Napoli for Sarri.

The Blues have moved to dismiss Conte after just two years at the club after they missed out on Champions League qualification last term with a disappointing fifth-place finish in the Premier League.

The writing has been on the wall for some time with Chelsea openly on the lookout for a new boss ever since with a number of high-profile names considered.

Conte had refused to walk away unless the final year of his three-year contract was paid up in full and even returned to take pre-season training which began on Monday.

But a compensation agreement was finally reached on Thursday with Sarri set to be announced as his replacement soon.

Sarri will be joined by former Blues striker and club legend Gianfranco Zola who is set to join as part of a new-look backroom team.

Conte had taken the Chelsea team on early morning on Thursday, and gave his players the afternoon off after it became clear that the two clubs had reached a final compensation agreement.

Antonio Conte won the English Premier League in 2017, and the FA Cup in 2018.

 

 

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SPORTS

Man United stun Juventus as City, Madrid win big

Published

on

Manchester United produced a stunning late comeback to beat Juventus 2-1 on Wednesday in what could be a turning point in their Champions League campaign, while a Gabriel Jesus hat-trick helped Manchester City all but secure a last-16 berth.
Ronaldo Cristiano Ronaldo Pep Guardiola’s City crushed Shakhtar Donetsk 6-0 on a night which saw Real Madrid also win big, as Bayern Munich closed in on a place in the knockout stage. Juventus were within seconds of confirming their spot in the last 16 after Cristiano Ronaldo put them ahead in Turin with a superb volley in the 65th minute.
The hosts had already hit the woodwork twice before that and should have been out of sight before Juan Mata equalised from an 86th-minute free-kick. The turnaround was completed in the 90th minute when Leonardo Bonucci scored an own-goal, and United boss Jose Mourinho delighted in taking to the field at the end, cupping an ear towards the home support.
The former Inter coach said it was a response to insults from Juve supporters, and United are now two points behind the Italians in Group H. “In a beautiful Italian city, they insulted me for 90 minutes. I didn’t insult them. I just made a little thing,” Mourinho told BT Sport.
“It is a big victory for us, not just because we needed the points but because it was away from home against an amazing team.” The result was a blow for Valencia, who are still two points behind in third after beating Young Boys 3-1 at Mestalla. Santi Mina scored twice either side of a Roger Assale goal, before Carlos Soler sealed the win. Young Boys, who had Sekou Sanogo sent off, cannot now qualify.
There was less drama at the Etihad Stadium, where City — whose financial dealings have come under scrutiny in a series of Football Leaks allegations — eased to their biggest win in the competition. Goals from David Silva and Riyad Mahrez bookended the victory. In between there was a stunner from Raheem Sterling, who was also awarded a penalty for kicking his own foot into the turf in the box.
Ronaldo a goal machine, money-making machine for ambitious Juventus Jesus scored the spot-kick, the first of two penalties in his hat-trick. City will head to Lyon later this month requiring a draw to secure a last-16 place.
“Unfortunately we haven’t qualified, but we are so close and will try to maintain this level,” said Guardiola, whose team play United on Sunday. City would have been through already had Lyon not squandered a two-goal lead to draw 2-2 at home to 10-man Hoffenheim. Nabil Fekir and Tanguy Ndombele had the French club 2-0 up at the break, and the Germans had Kasim Nuhu sent off early in the second half.
But Andrej Kramaric pulled one back and Lyon missed chances to secure the victory before Pavel Kaderabek’s stoppage-time equaliser. Reigning European champions Madrid had no trouble against Viktoria Plzen in the Czech Republic, with Karim Benzema scoring twice in a 5-0 win.
Real were four ahead at the break, Benzema’s goals taking him to 200 for the club. Casemiro and Gareth Bale also netted in the first half, and Toni Kroos completed the scoring with a delicious chip. Santiago Solari has now overseen three victories, all with clean sheets, since being put in charge of Madrid, and the Spaniards are level atop Group G with Roma. The Italians won 2-1 away to CSKA Moscow, Kostas Manolas and Lorenzo Pellegrini scoring their goals either side of Arnor Sigurdsson’s equaliser. CSKA, who had Hordur Magnusson sent off, still have a slim chance of qualifying, but Plzen are out.
Meanwhile, Bayern require just one more point to advance in Group E after Robert Lewandowski netted twice — the first a penalty — on his 100th European appearance in a 2-0 home win over AEK Athens, who are eliminated. Ajax remain well placed to progress too. They are second, four points clear of third-placed Benfica, after a 1-1 draw in Portugal. Jonas put Benfica ahead before Dusan Tadic equalised.

-Vanguard
Continue Reading

SPORTS

Nigeria Para-powerlifting Federation set to unveil logo, mascot for Lagos 2019

Published

on

The Nigeria Para-powerlifting Federation (NPPF), is set to unveil its Logo and Mascot for the 2019 World Para Powerlifting Championship.

Queen Uboh, the President of the federation told newsmen in Lagos on Tuesday, October 29.

According to Uboh, “the federation is prepared and ready for the unveiling billed to take place on Thursday, November, 1 at Oriental hotel and suite, Lagos.

“This is in preparation towards the 2019 World Para Powerlifting Championship which we won the right to host come January 2019, we are ready for the unveiling of the logo and mascot”.

“We employ lovers of the game to come and support this and together we can put smile on the faces of this disabled athletes who have found ability in disability,” Queen Uboh said.

The president commended the efforts of Peak Milk for providing a world class facility in Lagos for the para-power athletes to train, and appealed to other corporate organisations and state governments to support NPPF.

She called on the sport ministry, state government and corporate organisation to contribute and uplift the game of powerlifting and also think of a better welfare package for the athletes after retirement.

She revealed that her priority was to make sure when these athletes are no longer active, they have something to fall back to and call their own.

It would be recalled that the six athletes that represented the country in the powerlifting events of the Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast, Australia, each clinched a medal, returning with a total of six medals.
Also, Esther Oyema set a new world record after securing a lift of 131kg.

Uboh added: “Most stakeholders in the country do not really care and think about this disable athletes who even with their condition continue to make this nation proud anytime they have the opportunity to represent their father land.

“In the last Olympic games in Australia they made sure the nation anthem was heard, even where the able bodied athletes couldn’t succeed.

“We went with only six athletes to Gold Coast and each of them came back with a medal. If we had presented more than six athletes we would have won more medals.

“So, the athletes are ready for the tournament come January 2019,” she added.

Continue Reading

SPORTS

Fraud: Man United boss, Mourinho sentenced to one year imprisonment

Published

on

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has reportedly accepted a one-year suspended prison sentence for tax fraud in Spain.

Mourinho is alleged to have defrauded the Spanish authorities of €1.9 million (£1.78 million) during his time in charge of Real Madrid, using offshore companies in Ireland, the British Virgin Islands and New Zealand to conceal his earnings.

The Portuguese is thought to have earned around €3.3 million (£2.9 million) from image rights in 2011 and 2012, of which he has been fined 60 per cent.

El Mundo claims that Mourinho will accept in writing that he concealed that income from the authorities, avoiding the need for a trial and ensuring that he will not serve any jail time.

Mourinho is the latest high-profile football name to be penalised for tax evasion by the Spanish authorities, with Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Alexis Sanchez and Javier Mascherano also being caught in recent years.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending